March 29, 2011

Leech

We are all aware that the love of money is the root of all evil. Why? One reason is that an individual's mind will turn evil when he or she loves money so much. You will become selfish that you can't even help your love ones when they are in need. Selfish and practical are two different words so those people who have their love on money shouldn't say they are just being practical. 

What made me write this? I have a lot of experience dealing with people like this. Way back 2006, I had a foreign friend who happened to make Philippines one of his travel destination. Before he arrived in my country, I told him some of the flaws that he might encounter while staying in the Philippines. I was not mistaken. From Ninoy Aquino International Airport going to Malate, Manila, the cab driver was charging him double the exact fare. I was glad that he didn't give what the cab driver was asking. Is being an alien to another country an excuse for this cab driver to ask for a tip or worse double the price of the service? I don't think so. I am not generalizing that all cab drivers are doing this but most of them. One more unforgettable experience was when we went to Subic, Olonggapo. We decided to book a hotel for us to be sure we have a place to stay. When we arrived at the hotel, everything was ready. The place was fine, the receptionist was accommodating but the bell boy wasn't. He helped us with our  luggage. I was quite surprised at that time because he was waiting for a tip. He just stand at the door waiting for something. My friend then called me. So, I asked the bell boy, is there something wrong? He answered nothing. I then asked what was he waiting for? He just answered me with a smile. I asked him if their guests are obliged to give a tip. I told him that not all foreigners coming in the Philippines are rich who you can rip off. I was so angry at that time and I was so ashamed at my friend. I apologize for whatever bad experience he will encounter and will be encountering. 

Recently, my boss visited Philippines and I encountered almost the same situation again. I told those people that my boss isn't rich and that he is working hard for his family too. And because of that, I became bad for other people. I don't care if they will get angry because I was just protecting my boss for shameful purposes those people are thinking. Besides my boss is paying the services they are providing him. 

How can we keep our tourism industry well if this is the attitude we are giving our visitors? Come on! If we want our lives to be better, I guess we will just have to work hard for ourselves. Set aside whatever leisures you want to experience if you yourself can't make both ends meet and stop clinging on other people for your own benefit.

Money is so powerful that can corrupt your mind.


Note: This is also published in bubblews.com with the same and only one username.

2 comments:

kittypaws said...

I guess sometimes people take advantage of what they think will benefit them without even considering that they should also think about what kind of trouble they causing for others. It is sad that this happened to you and the people that you know more than once. It has never happened to me before even if I've had foreign people with me. Maybe it's because they think that you wouldn't put up a fight that's why they take advantage of you and those around you. I pity the people who do these things to others though. I never thought anybody can stoop this low but I guess I was wrong. Sad to say, We can't change others because this is what they are and this is what they will be for eternity.

Unknown said...

It makes me mad whenever I encounter this situation. OMG! Their eyes are turning into a dollar sign every time they see a foreigner.

Pages