March 31, 2011

Movie Review: State of Play



What could be so interesting in politics? Politics as defined by Wikipedia is from the Greek word πολιτικός “of, for, or relating to citizens”). It is a process by which groups of people make collective decisions. The term is generally applied to the art or science of running governmental or state affairs. I think the most interesting part of politics would be politics in general. It would be so interesting to know the ins and outs of it without being involved. Well, I guess you know what I mean.

State of play is a 2009 remake of a British thriller mini-series. Cal McAffrey played by Russell Crowe, my all time favorite actor, a grumpy, old-school reporter was involved in covering a conspiracy together with his sidekick Della Frye played by Rachel McAdams pushed by a mentally nimble and resourceful boss Cameron Lynne (Helen Mirren) . They work with police detectives to get into the story of the conspiracy. With a troubled past linked to Rep. Stephen Collins (Ben Affleck), Cal begins to find clues. These clues gave him the way to personally witness covering up, witnesses and assassins. He is getting closer to the truth which will test him as a reporter. Will he write the truth even at the last minute of it or will he make stories to cover up for his college buddy?

Being a thriller fan, I was really fascinated with the twist of this movie. I have seen Russell Crow in action and drama kind of movies and he is undeniably a very good actor. Playing John Nash in “A beautiful mind”, my all time favorite movie made me excited and looked forward to his role in this film. I guess Crowe is inclined to do films with the role of a silent, smart and wise man plus unending arguments with a Brit accent Helen Mirren.

Ben Affleck with his stunning physique emphasized on his corporate attire drew my attention. He had done different films before and we all know who he is, being the dirty oil driller who saved the world in Armageddon. However, I can say that his lines and scenes in this movie are so inappropriate for him.

Poor Rachel Adams, she seems like an extra cast in this movie. I can’t imagine her doing this kind of film because everybody knows she is well-appreciated in romantic movies. God knows her role in “The notebook”! Well, better luck next time.

Let’s give credit to Matthew Michael Carnahan, Tony Gilroy and Billy Roy for the twist and well-written screenplay. Continue writing good or maybe better films like this.
I would like to say two thumbs up to Kevin MacDonald in making this film. I can see in his line of work that he loves making documentaries. I think I will be looking forward to your next documentary film.

Overall, this movie is good which can capture your interest to blog about. I recommend this movie on a lazy weekend afternoon. You may not know if this movie will cure your laziness and will make you turn on your computer and write about it. 

2 comments:

nalor04 said...

This film looks like an I.Q test, first i don't know who's bad and who is good. Great story, fascinating!

Unknown said...

Definitely! Much better if you are having popcorn while watching this. The chewing might help you think. hahaha!

Pages