May 28, 2015

Dressmaking 101: School Uniform

I am very keen when it comes to fabric. Maybe because of what I have learned form high school. I studied in a vocational high school and when we reached third year, we have to choose our major; I took dressmaking. I knew it will be difficult for me because the materials needed were costly. However, I thought of taking the risk and the universe will do the rest. LOL!

Anyway, after high school, I didn't get a chance to pedal a dressmaking machine again. I do some sewing but just by the hand and those were just minor repairs. 

Nowadays, I tend to be picky on what to wear. I don't follow fashion trend, I just wear what I am comfortable with but sometimes, the increase and decrease of weight makes me spend more on clothes adding the fact that I am choosy with the kind of fabric. I hate shopping but when I do, I read the details. With regards to those, I thought of sewing again. I'll make my own clothes and perhaps if I have more time, it will be a profitable one. The sewing machine is just sitting in the corner anyway, might as well make it a money-making machine but I still need practice.

I then decided to sew my sister-in-law's school uniform. I wasn't sure about it since my sewing kit is in my hometown. I wonder how will I make a pattern without a french curve! Oh well, if there's a will, there's a way. If I won't take the risk, nothing will happen. 

How did I make the patterns? I looked for an old uniform and used it as a pattern. Honestly, it was more difficult than making a new one. But patience is a virtue!

Cut outs for the blouse
After several days of sewing, I was able to finish it. If only I have one whole day to sew, I guess I did it for one sitting but I just do it during my vacant hours from work. I can't believe I still have the knowledge!

The finish product
Since I did the blouse, I thought of making the skirt because I know it will be a lot easier than the blouse. 

Cut outs for the skirt
The only difficult thing in sewing the skirt is making the pocket. I was like solving a puzzle and trying to recall how it is being done. After many attempts in trying, I got how it is and mind you, it was a piece of cake!

The finish product

I was so happy because it fits her very well!

Camera shy model :)
Because of this, I am ready to sew other articles of clothing and make money out of it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! From baking to dressmaking. What else can you not do? :)

Unknown said...

Eh, I can't dance hahaha! Which I really wanted to do :D

Pages