December 7, 2015

I Love Kimchi!

Since I was a kid, constipation was one of my biggest health problems. It is said in many health-related websites that I should eat foods with lots of fibers. Because of that, I started eating red rice. I think eating white rice gives a hard time for my stomach to digest food. I also tried eating oat meals, wheat bread which I bake, and of course, lots and lots of veggies. Unfortunately, since I am living in the country side it is a bit difficult to go to the supermarket when I consume all my foods. I know it is easy to get vegetables here but mother in-law isn't always home to prepare for my meals if I am busy at work. 

I remember when I was still in college, I used to eat kimchi which my Korean friends introduced. I noticed that my digestion improved during those times. However, when I started working and was away with them, kimchi was no longer part of my diet. I only ate that when we go to Korean restaurant or when I decide to patiently eat supermarket kimchi which taste really aweful! 

These past few days, I decided to make my own kimchi and have it stored so I can eat anytime I want. There are no Korean stores nearby therefore I had to ask my husband to drop by a Korean store in Ortigas when he went to the bus station for reservation. Luckily, he was able to bring home what I need.

Thanks to Maanchi for the very easy and detailed recipe.  I started with washing the napa cabbage or Chinese cabbage as we call it here. It has to be salted and let it sit for two hours. 

While I was waiting for the cabbage to be salted. I prepared for the porridge. I have to do a lot of cutting and dicing but thanks to my two sister in-laws, the job was done easily! 

After making the porridge, I still had to wash the cabbage several times and drain it for 30 minutes. But it wasn't that long to wait. I as too excited to make the kimchi!

After several times of mixing and giving the cabbage a good massage with the porridge, and making my hand so red, here the finish product! I just have to store it in room temperature for 2 days for fermentation then refrigerate it after to slow down the process. It can also be eaten right away if you want it. Of course, I did since I was already mouth-watering!

 

After two days of eating kimchi, breakfast, lunch and dinner, I noticed that my digestion became a lot better!  Sadly, only my husband, my mother in-law and I like to eat kimchi, other members of the family only eat it when it is with other recipes like kimchi stew.

I guess I have to buy my own kimchi refrigerator someday!

No comments:

Pages