November 5, 2016

The Hunt for Authentic Lomi



I always believe in the concept "In order to understand one's culture, you have to learn their language and taste their food". Since I started traveling around the Philippines, I always try my best to eat what symbolizes the culture of the place. 

Marrying a Batangueno is challenging. Their culture is totally different from mine. The first time my husband brought me to his hometown, I was shocked by the way they talk. They always have a high-pitch tone in which for me, it is already a sign of misunderstanding or a fight. The worst thing, I met the elderly people in the neighborhood! Talk about high-pitch voice ey? haha! But I learned to understand it even with just one night of staying. 

My husband's cousins bragged about their famous lomi, one kind of noodle soup in the Philippines. Yes, from north to south, I think we have our own noodle recipe. Writing this makes me crave our own noodle soup in the north. I am not a picky eater so I was game in trying their lomi. The first time I tasted it, I loved it but according to them, that's not an authentic one. I can still remember how they were teaching me in preparing the sauce! hahaha! 

Now that we are living at my husband's place, it has been in my to-do-list to taste an authentic lomi. My husband's cousin told me we can find it in Ibaan, Batangas. Oh well, I wish I can go by myself. However, last month, my sister in-law mentioned they went there to eat lomi. I was so jealous because they didn't tell me! Grrr! Then I asked my sister in-law one Saturday to go there. I was so excited because finally I will be tasting an authentic food! 


The lomi restaurant is so homey. It seems so comfortable for me waiting for the food to be served. 

As usual, I was wrong again in preparing my sauce. And I hate squeezing calamansi, I don't know but I just hate doing that so husband did. hahaha! I also have half-Filipino, half Mid-eastern blood so I must have tons of onions!  Kidding! I am a pure Filipino who just love onions. Finally, the food came! 



According to what I have researched, authentic lomi doesn't have chicharon. I am not sure if I am correct but they served it with some. Nevertheless, the taste is so satisfying! With all the lomi I tasted, that's one of the best! 


If you ever plan to head over Batangas, please stop by that place. I am sure you will love it if you like eating lomi. Now, I am terribly hungry and wants to devour a dish of lomi!

No comments:

Pages