July 13, 2015

Crappy Employment System in the Philippines

I can't avoid thinking of my masseuse. Last weekend, I decided to get a massage since I have been suffering back pain the past few days. The massage parlor already knows me so they know who I want to handle my body. 

I had an opportunity to have a conversation with my masseuse while she was giving me the massage. I asked if she could be my personal masseuse. We talked about my schedule unfortunately, she won't be available on Saturdays starting next week.

After a few minutes, she had to excuse herself to talk to a client who just came in. I wondered because they have a receptionist. When she got back, she asked for an apology and because I was so inquisitive I asked why isn't the receptionist doing that. I came to know that the receptionist is also the OIC and that she should be the one giving the massage because she's also a massage therapist. She also told me their rule, the OIC must take some clients if the others can no longer take the responsibility unfortunately, according to my masseuse, she refuses all the time, as a result they are all exhausted except the OIC. I was also wondering why they refuse to do so yet they are given percentage for each client but to my astonishment, the percentage cannot even buy them snacks. I didn't get into details since my heart was already in pain.  

It's not my thing to ask for someone's salary because it's very unprofessional. However, with her disappointment, she told me how much it is and I can't believe she's receiving that per day. I felt really sorry for her. I then asked her if she could be my regular masseuse but she can't because she won't be doing Saturdays anymore starting next week. I asked if she could be on on call but she refused because it would be her loss if she does. Because of that, I promised her I will pay for her one day salary plus the service just for her to come and service me, finally, I saw a smile on her face. 


Backer System 

I have also known that the hired OIC was backed up by somebody higher in the parlor. This is one of the biggest problem we have in the country. Nepotism seems to be lurking in every public and private sector run by Filipinos. I hate to say but this is one reason why I quit my office jobs because I cannot stand office politics. The first time I worked in an office, I was given a terrible stare from my co-workers because at 20, I got a position higher than theirs but it's not because I know somebody inside but because of my qualification and I was proud to tell that infront of their faces. I know a lot of people out there proud of their positions but they didn't sweat to get it. It's because they have their moms or dads or friends working long before them. Pretty annoying! I can't believe how they can face others with that!

Silent Slavery 

We are in the modern times but slavery from work is still existing. Most employees just take it because they are scared to lose their jobs and that they can no longer feed their family. Employers take advantage of it. There are those who offer a very low paying job to people especially those who come from poor families. "Tatanggapin nila iyan dahil wala silang makain" (They will accept that because they have nothing to eat), I once heard this from my so called rich neighbor who hired a driver in my community.  I came from a very poor family and I know how hard it is. I never stopped working since I was in elementary and I have experienced a lot of slavery. Lack of proper education and information will make this kind of discrimination continue. 

Since then, I promised myself to help in my own little way to eradicate this kind of unfair employment. And the only solution I know is proper education. It ain't easy but I will get there, I know it.

No comments:

Pages