September 14, 2015

First Baking Attempt

Cooking is like painting or writing a song. Just as there are only so many notes or colors, there are only so many flavors - it's how you combine them that you apart. - Wolfgang Puck

I love the kitchen as I always say. I didn't get a formal education when it comes to cooking, I just love imagining the way my food is prepared when I eat out. And I think I am getting money-wiser nowadays, my brain goes on calculating everything whenever I find myself eating out. Maybe because I have proven that I can save more money when I do the cooking at home. 

I hate sweets but most of my love ones and the people around me love it. They can eat a jar of chocolates when put in front of them. Cake is something they will wake up to even in the middle of the night. I remember my friends finishing whole slices of too sweet cake at Starbucks while I just had a bite. 

The Christmas season has started and so pastries are getting in demand again. You might wonder, it's still September but we already started Christmas season; that's how we do it here in the Philippines. I cannot imagine myself lining for cakes this season. Therefore I need to exercise my arms in kneeding and my tongue in tasting what I bake nowadays. 

Yesterday, I tried baking Castella, a famous sponge cake in Nagasaki, Japan. I was impressed on how it is made when I watched a food documentary of the country. Even if I don't have enough equipment in making it, I still tried it. 

Surprisingly, it turned out soft and delicious but the shape wasn't successful. 

Honey Castella

Since the shape isn't mouth-watering, I guess I will redo this when I have time.

No comments:

Pages