September 21, 2015

Movie Review: Heneral Luna



I rarely watch a Filipino-made movie in theaters. If I am not mistaken the last time I watched one was 11 years ago. It's been a long time since I lost interest in watching our own movies. In fact, I once considered our movie industry dead. Now that I have seen Heneral Luna, I was really excited that this could be the start of looking forward to watch our own movies.

Heneral Luna is a historical epic movie which is set during the Philippine-American war starred by John Arcilla, Arron Villaflor, Joem Bascon, Archie Alemania, Alex Medina, Art Acuna, Mon Confiado, Epy Quizon, Bing Pimental, Paulo Avelino, Mylene Dizon, Alvin Anson, Nonie Buencamino, Lorenz Martinez, Leo Martinez and Ketchup Eusobio.  Sorry for mentioning these names but they deserve it. These actors have made the viewers laugh, angry, cry and most especially learn. 

John Arcilla who played as Heneral Luna deserve a salute. I can't help but clap my hands at the end of the movie as my only way of showing my appreciation. His way of delivering humor, anger and patriotism left my eye not blinking and ears fully focused on the movie.  
Director Jerrold Tarog did an amazing job for this movie. For the Filipinos, if you can still remember the history we have learned during our school days, you can tell exactly who the characters the actors are portraying. 

Kudos to the writers. I am pretty sure you have spent sleepless nights digging up Philippine history. 

It's worth watching the movie even if we sat down the isles of the movie theater. It was jam packed! We set aside eating lunch because we were running to the movie theater. I was with the young ones and I had to plead to the security guard to believe one of them is already thirteen because the movie is PG-13. Thank goodness, it was granted! 

After watching the movie, this made me realize why the Philippines is still a third-world country. The problem is deeply rooted. 

No comments:

Pages