March 7, 2016

Go With The Flow? No Way!



Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see - Mark Twain

With all the conveniences we have nowadays, the society is slowly becoming arid in dealing with each other. It seems like what's more crucial nowadays is to have material things which gives us short-term happiness. When I was younger, I was able to experience how kind the society was. One held the door for me, helped me picked myself and my things up when I stumble and sympathize when I'm feeling blue. I have seen men giving their seats on the bus to women, young, old, handicapped or pregnant. I had experienced that too. I cannot forget the time when I was still job hunting; I was on my business attire, rode the bus from Quiapo where I lived to Makati. Unfortunately, the bus was full. I have no choice but to stand because I don't want to be late for my interview. I didn't expect someone stood up and gave his seat to me. Funny thing, he stood up until I reached Makati. I couldn't thank him enough. These are the things I find difficult to give up in exchange of material wealth. 

Until now, I still want to show kindness to people I meet no matter who they are. I cook for my neighbors whenever I have free time. This is my way of saying thank you for all the blessings I am receiving. I am not religious and I don't give church offerings instead I share to those who are in need. If the society will someday prevent me from doing so because it isn't already the norm, I am positive I lose my motivation to work. 
Many people ask me why I give more to others than to myself. And my answer is simple; I won't be able to bring those material things when I am already on my death bed. This may not apply to those people living in another kind of society and that's the reason why I refrain to discuss this topic to them. I also try my best not to get close to those people because I know there's no point in doing so. 

Some people tend to read some pages of my book of life and assume they know me well. That's not the case. Stop judging and stop asking personal questions if your goal is to use that to judge me. If you don't like me, just leave. I can't please everybody. 

And I don't go with the flow!  I tread against the current if necessary.

No comments:

Pages