December 31, 2019

A Challenging 2019


When there's darkness, there's light

Every year brings a lot of surprises may it be a sudden trip somewhere, a long lost friend who emerges on messenger or an extremely unexpected responsibility at work. 

As human as I am, I have been through a lot of "sudden" this year which I say have tested my patience and my perseverance to an exponential level. However, these challenges make me thankful in the long run due to the fact that it will definitely be useful, it may not be in all aspects but most aspects of my life. 

Don't Trust Anyone But Don't Distrust Everyone
This has been ingrained in me for more than a decade of handling people virtually. However, this year, it was put to the test how well-versed I am in this. I used to shed tears whenever I am disappointed on how people perform at work because I put my full trust in them.  This year however, made me care less on whatever they feel but cared more on how they perform. You sign up for the job, better do it the best you can, or you hear from me, friends or not. Learning to read people made me become more efficient on what I do. On the contrary, I also make sure that I don't generalize people as I am aware everyone didn't come from the same mother. 

Guard Your Secrets
Social media nowadays is becoming more of a place to gossip instead of becoming a place to inform, learn or educate. There are things that need to stay private for there are people who are just waiting to make stories about you. This also applies to a workplace; it is fine to be friends with your co-workers but learn to isolate personal relationship from that of work. There are those people who lose respect because they think you are friends. 

Be Firm When You Say "NO"
We are in a society where we lean from each other, friends, family, or colleagues. I really had difficulty saying no to a request especially if they are close to me. My attitude of being generous had taken a toll on me a long time ago however, this year, I have said "NO" to a lot of requests. There is a big difference between asking for a help and taking advantage thus saying no to someone who is already taking advantage of you doesn't mean you are being selfish.  

Just Do It!
Many of us get scared to do what they are passionate about maybe because of having no resources or just simply because it will mean getting out of their comfort zone.  I, too, have been scared of starting new things in my life. I was scared to take other responsibilities at work because I was scared to fail. However, I realized, I will never know if I won't try. As they say, trying and failing is better than never trying. If you plan to do something new, it is fine to be doubtful but don't be scared to try. Often times, we are afraid of the unknown.

The year 2020 is almost beginning and may these lessons remain executed to become better.  No matter what happened in 2019, good or bad, those are already part of life. Learn to never regret anything you have done and only then you know how to think before you do.  

No comments:

Pages