November 2, 2015

Baking: Dark Chocolate cake

Everybody was at home last weekend because of the holiday. November 1st and 2nd should be holidays because of the commemoration of the dead in the Philippines. Sadly, the government didn't declare the 2nd as the holiday. 

November 1st is my mother in-laws birthday. We planned to buy her a cake but then I was already tired of the same taste of cake since we only have one bakeshop nearby. We then shopped for ingredients we don't have to make a dark chocolate cake. 

After mixing all the ingredients, I baked it for 50 minutes under 150 degree C using a halogen oven since we don't have the conventional one. While baking, we prepared for the white frosting. We don't have an electric mixer so it was done manually. 

We did it after almost 30 minutes of vigorous whisking! It was tough but we felt great after seeing the result.

Me coating the cake with dark chocolate ganache 
After coating, ready to freeze

While waiting for the chocolate ganache to freeze, we decided to visit the cemetery to pay respect for our dead ancestors and relatives. Total time of travel and going around the cemetery was an hour, good enough for the cake to be ready for the decoration.

In action! :D
I was instructing my in-laws while I was decorating the cake so they can do the second cake. I wanted to have two layers but the cake was already thick.

Lettering the cake
I asked my sister in-law to do the dedication. I asked her to use white chocolate bits instead of the white icing. 




After carefully decorating the cake, the result looks awesome. My in-laws were too excited to do it so the cake turned out like it is for a kid! Well, it didn't matter because the taste was heavenly!

P.S. Forgot to take pictures of the main course (sinantat, a traditional soup from my hometown) because we were overwhelmed with the cake! Anyway, my food critics told me to cook more of it next time. I guess I should accept orders for the holidays! hahaha!

No comments:

Pages