August 25, 2015

Tempura Obsession

The rainy days make me stay in place and think of food all the time. Even though I try to work on weekends my mind still wants to cook something so I always make sure that there's something in the refrigerator whenever my cooking addiction attacks. 

It's been a long time since I tried cooking shrimp tempura. That was a total failure. haha! I guess I was just so confident that I could turn it out right just by imagining how it was cooked. The result, delicious but it looked terrible! Huh! 

Failed tempura :D



Because I can't forget that epic failure of mine, I decided not to do it again, hence, I just went hunt a Japanese restaurant whenever I craved for it. However, I am sure the craving will be endless. Therefore I watched a lot of cooking videos on how to prepare the shrimp so it won't curl like how I want my hair to look like when I cook them in a super hot oil!  My sleepless nights paid off because I was able to memorize how it should be done. 

Elongated shrimp
I was really surprised when I did the technique on how to make the shrimp longer because I really heard that sound when I twitched it! Amazing! I handled it very carefully since it was my first time to do that technique. Thanks to Eddy Tseng's easy to follow directions! 

I couldn't wait to see the outcome once cooked.  Honestly, I felt nervous while cooking it. I did the eggplant and sweet potato first to test if I can nail the technique.  
Potatoes and eggplant tempura

Shrimp, eggplant and sweet potato tempura

Well, I did! The taste? Like that of a fine dining Japanese restaurant :D

No comments:

Pages